CMT (Construction Materials Testing) Technician
Location: Great Falls, Montana
Thomas Dean & Hoskins, Inc. (TD&H) is an award-winning consulting engineering firm offering a full range of services throughout Montana, Washington, Idaho, North Dakota and Pennsylvania. We serve a diverse clientele ranging from individuals and rural water districts to large corporations in populous cities. We assist our clients through all phases of their projects, starting with concept development through construction completion. TD&H has been satisfying clients since its incorporation in 1965 and has built an impressive resume of successful projects.
TD&H strives to provide innovative engineering solutions to challenging technical problems by assigning professionals who understand the issues and deliver results. We place a high priority on service and measure our success in terms of each client’s success.
We are seeking a well-rounded candidate to join our AASHTO accredited materials testing laboratory in Great Falls, Montana. As a CMT technician, you will learn and perform a variety of testing on construction materials such as soils, concrete, masonry, and asphalt. On-site materials testing is conducted on various commercial, industrial, and transportation construction projects located throughout the area. Some sites will require special training and or access restrictions including but not limited to background checks and periodic drug and alcohol testing.
Candidates should be comfortable working outdoors in varying weather conditions and be able to lift at least 100 pounds. Technicians are required to travel frequently for testing and overnight stays are common. All applicants must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record. Overnight stays generally range from one night to one week depending on the project and location. The successful candidate will frequently be required to use hand tools (hammers, shovel, etc.), walk and push a wheel barrow across uneven terrain, and stoop, bend, kneel, or crouch. At times, work may be at varying heights, in confined spaces, or in supported trenches.
- Perform field density testing of soils
- Perform field concrete testing, including slump, air content, and strength
- Prepare clearly written, concise, and accurate daily testing reports
- Provide effective communication with laboratory supervisor, other laboratory technicians, engineers, and contractors
- Perform routine sampling and laboratory testing of soils, aggregate, concrete, masonry, and asphalt and assist with more complex tasks, as required
- A demonstrated ability to learn and apply technical concepts
- Flexibility to work extended or nontraditional hours as needed
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Related work experience in materials testing or construction
- Current Nuclear Gauge Training
- Current ACI Certification – Field Testing Technician Grade I
- A strong safety focus and attention to detail
- A High School diploma or equivalent
- A valid driver’s license with clean driving record for the last 3 years
- Physically fit for job demands
- Reside in or within driving distance of Great Falls, MT
- Basic computer skills in Word, Excel, and email communication
- Must be able to pass background check and periodic random drug and alcohol testing required for special access sites
TD&H Engineering offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off (PTO), Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP), and paid holidays. Wage range from $12-$15 per hour dependent on experience.
TD&H Engineering is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, send an email with resume, cover letter, and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org Please do not call with inquiries. This position will be open until filled.